5 Causes of Semi-Insanity

THE ADDICTOR: One taste was all it took; one single breath and you owned me. Then I knew the danger. I wanted to ignore it, but what could happen from one little try? Now I need you constantly, like a piece of my heart that I have to borrow. And when I try to stop, every cell in my body screams for you. A few more days, weeks, months...who knows ho long it will take for the longing to go away? You're bad for me; you poison me with every glance I cast upon you. But, you make me happy; take away my pain, and I would give life and limb for you, if only my soul would allow.

THE ATTRACTOR: I spent my life telling myself you were wrong. Everyone tells me you're wrong, and I would agree at the drop of a hat. But, when you're on, I can't help but sit and watch, maybe even quote you; laugh at your jokes. I might even envy you. But, I have to look away before reasoning is blurred; before I believe everything blaring over the speakers. I clap my hands over my ears and shut my eyes. I try to block you out; try to change the channel. But, I want to peek. I want to watch through the cracks in my fingers. It's much easier to watch than to turn and run.

THE UNTOUCHABLE: You fascinate me. I could stare at you forever. Sometimes I even believe I can reach out and graze your hand, but that would be impossible. This store window blocks all contact, showing my dazzled reflection dimly outlining your perfectness. I see the girl from down the street walking out with you cradled in her arms, her smile so loving and beautiful. I could steal you; have your brown, glass eyes for my own. I trust in my legs that much. But, her smile reaches into my soul and wakes my sleeping conscience. I stare at the back of her head longingly, but, in the end, stare at you through the window, fully aware of the empty holes in my pockets.

THE IMMOVABLE: I stare at the two lights becoming brighter and brighter. My mind screams "run", but I can't seem to feel my think legs. My hooves stay rooted to the blacktop. I have a faint thought of my herd, my friends, standing by the side of the road. They will have to watch. I could say something; last words. I could make a change in these final seconds. I will later wish I had. I can see the Alaskan license plate in the glare, now, still unable to even flinch. I could do anything in these short seconds before impact. If only I could make my feet move. And, still, the lights grow brighter.

THE UNCHANGEABLE: I can see it all. I can roll all over the world, see every person on Earth. I view it all through the warped, colored ball that is my transportation, and my cage. Yes, I have a view of the world, but the door is locked. I can't open it no matter what I do. I long to interact, to speak to those many faces passing by me; to "make a difference" as some of them say. But all attempts are incomplete and futile. In the end, I roll silently away, viewing the world through my tiny tears, my paws pulling violently and pleadingly with every step.

Comments

Popular Posts