Growing Up

Jo grew up to be his dad
What a forethinking son was he
Stayed cramped inside a cubicle
When he'd much rather travel the sea

Fern grew up to be her mom
What a practical daughter was she
Married a man she didn't love
And wishes all day to be free

Tom grew up like all the stars
What a diligent fan was he
Now cameras follow him everywhere
Though he wants them to all let him be

I'm not sure who I'm growing into
The future's not easy to see
But if there's a way I can sway it
I'd like to grow up to be me

Comments

  1. Great poem. Very important message. If I could make a couple of superficial suggestions? I would change "them to all" to "them all to" and "The future's not" to "The future is not." But neither of those are particularly important. Overall, the poem is very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your concern for my grammar! Words and I had a long fight over these lines, especially the former mentioned, and this was the inevitable compromise for rhythm's sake. Please don't hesitate to mention any other lexicon mishaps, however (espescially spelling).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts