Bright

The Cheshire moon beamed bright that night
Just above the Venus star
He grinned to show his teeth and said,
"What a tiny thing you are!"
The Venus star's light faintly dimmed
And she spoke, soft and shy,
"Well, we can't all be quite as bright
As the brightest in the sky."
The Cheshire's smile grew thin and cruel
As he continued on,
"Of course, you can't, but who have I
At night to gaze upon?
My light is all that gives man hope
That day will come anew
And with my light so brightly cast,
For what do I need you?"
But Venus star spoke soft and calm
Her manner unashamed,
"The Sun is what gives you your light
And I am just the same.
Without him, we would both be dark,
On this we can rely.
So, how could we be true to say
It is we who rule the sky?"
The Cheshire moon then shut his mouth
And the night grew black as tar
But a child looked up and smiled to see
The second brightest star

Comments

Popular Posts