JSYK36: Small Slice


I never quite grew up. My mind is always looking forward, don't get me wrong, but ice cream, shiny objects and Christmas traditions always tend to tether me tight to the past. As a result, I tend to be a little...different at times. I wave to airplanes whenever they fly over me. I snuggle into a blanket and read Dr. Seuss when I'm feeling down. I wake up early on the first day of summer to watch the sun rise. I sing Christmas carols all year 'round. I only wear shoes that are interesting to stare at when I'm bored. I never leave home without pen and paper for fear of thinking of something I might forget. I sometimes believe I have wings. I string Christmas lights to my backpack. I pray that the stars will stay bright. I walk outside just to stand in the rain. In the summer, I can't sleep without crickets. I am still afraid of the dark. All these things, though smudged by time, are dandelion petals of my childhood. One by one, I see them blow away, and I often wonder what might be left when I have grown.

Comments

Popular Posts