Bird Brains

A bluejay and a cardinal
Are flying through the snow
Says the bluejay to the cardinal,
"Friend, tell me, do you know
Where all this white stuff comes from
To make this horrid mess?"
The cardinal shakes his head and says,
"Well, I can take a guess.
It seems to come from all the air
Like dust when winds do blow.
Perhaps white sand has blown to us
But from where, I don't know."
"It seems to me you may be wrong,"
The bluejay says, quite bold.
"If it is simply dust or sand
Then why is it so cold?
It chills like rain which comes from clouds
But falls when clouds are grey.
Perhaps when clouds are white they fall
Like this. That's what I say."
The cardinal laughs a twittering laugh.
"It's nothing like the rain.
If anything, it's like the dust
And all else is insane!"
And so they argue back and forth
About what they don't know
But what can you expect from birdbrains
Freezing in the snow.


Comments

  1. I love this poem! Feels Shel Silverstein-ish/ Roald Dahl-ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so wonderful of you to say! Both are prominent role models of mine.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts